It is buttered rum season! It’s time to pull out those mugs and light up the bonfire!
This autumnal libation has me feeling quite ecstatic – the flavor is simply divine!
What is Buttered Rum?
A buttered rum is a classic warm alcoholic beverage made primarily with rum, butter, and various spices. It’s known for its rich, comforting, and soothing flavor, making it a popular choice during the colder months, especially around the holiday season.
The key components of a traditional buttered rum include:
- Rum: Dark rum is often used in buttered rum for its deep and robust flavor, but some variations may use other types of rum, depending on personal preference.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is typically mixed into the drink to give it a smooth and creamy texture. The butter melts when combined with hot water or hot cider, creating a luxurious mouthfeel.
- Spices: Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg are commonly added to buttered rum to infuse it with warm, aromatic notes. These spices enhance the overall flavor and aroma of the drink.
- Sweetener: Brown sugar or other sweeteners are used to balance the flavors and add a touch of sweetness to the cocktail. The amount of sweetener can be adjusted to taste.
The preparation usually involves combining these ingredients in a heated mug or glass, then topping it off with hot water or hot apple cider. It’s often garnished with a cinnamon stick, a dusting of nutmeg, or a dollop of whipped cream for extra indulgence.
Buttered rum is cherished for its cozy and comforting qualities, making it a perfect choice for sipping by the fireplace or enjoying as a dessert cocktail. It’s a classic drink with a rich history and remains a favorite during the winter months for those looking to warm up with a delicious and soothing beverage.
What is Pumpkin Butter?
Pumpkin butter is a thick and smooth spread made from cooked and pureed pumpkin, sweeteners, and a blend of spices. It’s similar in texture to fruit preserves or apple butter but is made primarily from pumpkin. Pumpkin butter is known for its rich, autumnal flavor profile and is often used as a spread on bread, toast, bagels, muffins, or as a topping for pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, yogurt, and desserts. It can also be incorporated into various recipes for added flavor, such as in baked goods or as a filling for pastries.
Common ingredients in pumpkin butter include:
- Pumpkin Puree: Cooked and mashed pumpkin forms the base of pumpkin butter. It’s made from fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin puree.
- Sweeteners: Pumpkin butter is typically sweetened with sugar or brown sugar, and sometimes additional sweeteners like maple syrup or honey are used to enhance the sweetness.
- Spices: A blend of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice is added to give pumpkin butter its distinctive fall flavor. These spices contribute to its warm and aromatic taste.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is often included to add a hint of acidity and balance the sweetness of the spread.
- Vanilla Extract: Some recipes include vanilla extract to enhance the overall flavor profile.
Pumpkin butter can be homemade or purchased commercially in jars. Homemade versions allow for customization of the sweetness and spice levels to suit personal preferences. It’s a versatile and delicious way to enjoy the flavors of autumn and is particularly popular during the fall season in various culinary applications.
The Smokeshow Pumpkin Buttered Rum with Smoked Cinnamon
As the crisp autumn air settles in and leaves turn to vibrant shades of red and gold, there’s nothing quite like savoring the flavors of the season in a comforting beverage. Enter the “Smoked Pumpkin Buttered Rum,” a concoction that combines the warmth of spiced rum, the richness of pumpkin butter, and the smoky allure of cinnamon chunks. This autumn-inspired libation promises to wrap you in a cozy embrace and transport your taste buds to a fireside retreat.
- 2 oz (60 ml) spiced rum
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin butter
- Hot water
- Cinnamon chunks for smoking (optional)
- Cinnamon stick for garnish (optional)
Creating the Smoked Pumpkin Buttered Rum Experience:
- Spiced Rum Base: Start by selecting a quality spiced rum as the foundation of your drink. Spiced rum adds a layer of complexity with its warm, aromatic spices, making it a perfect complement to the autumn theme.
- Pumpkin Butter: Add a generous tablespoon of pumpkin butter to the mix. The pumpkin butter brings a luscious pumpkin flavor combined with the comforting spices of fall, including cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. It infuses the cocktail with a velvety, seasonal richness.
- Hot Water: Pour hot water into the glass, filling it to your desired level. The hot water acts as the warming agent, melding the ingredients together while creating a soothing, comforting base.
- Smoky Cinnamon: For a touch of drama and an additional layer of flavor, consider smoking your cocktail with cinnamon chunks. To do this, simply ignite the cinnamon chunks in your Smokeshow Smoker. Allow the smoke to infuse the cocktail for a few moments before removing the smoker. This step elevates the sensory experience and adds a captivating smoky aroma to your drink.
- Garnish: If desired, garnish your Smoked Pumpkin Buttered Rum with a cinnamon stick. It not only adds visual appeal but also enhances the aromatic aspect of the cocktail.
The result is a drink that’s as visually stunning as it is delectable. With each sip, you’ll encounter the soothing warmth of spiced rum, the cozy embrace of pumpkin butter, and the subtle smokiness of cinnamon. The combination of these elements evokes the essence of autumn, making it a perfect choice for sipping on cool evenings, gatherings with friends, or as a festive treat during the fall season. Raise your glass and toast to the beauty of autumn with this Smoked Pumpkin Buttered Rum masterpiece.
Hot Pumpkin Buttered Rum
- 1 pot or water heater to boil water
- 1 heat safe mug
- 1 Cocktail Spoon
- 1.5 oz Spiced Rum
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin Butter
- 1 cup hot water
Garnish & Smoke
- 1 pinch Cinnamon Smoke Dust
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (optional)
- Heat 1 cup of water using the method of your choice.1 cup hot water
- Scoop pumpkin butter into the bottom of a heat-safe mug. Add spiced rum and then slowly and carefully add hot water. Stir to combine (it'll be a weird color until it is stirred!)1.5 oz Spiced Rum, 2 tbsp Pumpkin Butter
Garnish & Smoke
- Add a pinch of Cinnamon Smoke Dust to your smoker, smoke and garnish!1 pinch Cinnamon Smoke Dust, 1 Cinnamon Stick (optional)